|2.6 - 4 100|
|Left Hand Drive|
|13 June 1956|
|1956||Reno Red / Black|
38 more photos below ↓
Record Creation: Entered on 2 August 2016.
Photos of BN2L233098
Click slide for larger image. This car has 39 photos. (Dates are when image was uploaded.)
Exterior Photos (2)
Interior Photos (2)
Details Photos: Exterior (10)
Uploaded August 2016:
Detail Photos: Engine (5)
Detail Photos: Other (9)
Uploaded August 2016:
Restoration Photos: Start (2)
Restoration Photos: Stripdown (5)
Restoration Photos: Metalwork (1)
Restoration Photos: Paint (1)
Restoration Photos: Carbs (1)
Restoration Photos: Rear Axle (1)
We now require an email address to leave a comment. Your IP will be recorded in an effort to reduce spam. (Report problem posts here.)
2016-08-02 17:13:45 | pauls writes:
Listed as sold at:
This 1956 Austin Healey 100M (chassis #BN2-L/233098) is a factory built, documented, and matching-numbers example that has been with the seller for 22 years. Factory records show that just 640 high-performance 100M roadsters were produced between September 1955 and July 1956, and approximately 190 are known to remain in existence according to the 100M Registry. Purchased by the seller as a project car in 1994, this example received an eight-year, ground-up restoration to Austin Healey Concours Guidelines. Attention to detail is thorough, and the car is said to be in correct 100M specification with the exception of added seat belts and Dayton wire wheels. The sale includes a British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Certificate and 100M Registry Certificate.
The restoration was carried out from 1994 to 2001 by Alan Alfano, a former concours judge and editor of the Austin Healey Concours Guidelines, who also restored the iconic black-on-pink Earl's Court 100M. Correct orientation of fasteners and other original details were duplicated as observed on an unrestored low-mile 100M, and the work has held up well over the ensuing 15 years.
Repainted in its original colors of Reno Red over black sides, the body still shows an even, high gloss over straight sheet metal. The bonnet has been repainted more recently to correct an imperfection, and is noted as being a shade off. A slightly uneven gap is visible at the trailing edge of the trunk lid. Dayton 48-spoke wire wheels were mounted in lieu of the original Dunlops, and wear period-correct NLA Michelin X 165-15 radials that were reissued by Michelin for a limited time.
The new folding windshield received hold-down washers and chrome springs duplicating the original items. Metalwork appears to remain straight and unmarred, as does panel seam beading and weatherstripping. Leather straps on the hood and spare tire are duplicates of original items. A correct black top and tonneau were sourced from Robbins, while the top bows were restored but never installed.
Original side curtains were also restored and reside in a correct-style Everflex bag by MacGregor. The trunk received a fresh color-matched Armacord liner and contains a spare wire wheel with a matching Michelin radial. A restored period tool kit and jack/handle set are contained in factory-style bags by Roger Moment, and a period owner's handbook and service manual are also included.
Inside, red bucket seats were refurbished by Columbia Auto Upholstery with new Connolly leather, which shows only light wrinkling and a hint of driver's side bolster wear. The remainder of the interior was redone in red Armacord, Vynide, and new old-stock Karvel carpeting. Modifications are reportedly limited to the addition of seat belts as none were originally provided on the 100M.
The factory steering wheel was restored by Roger Moment with its rebuilt original trafficator, while dash switches were disassembled and restored. Gauges were rebuilt by Palo Alto Speedometer with re-screened faces. The restored original wiper motor was fitted with new old-stock Rainbow wipers, and the refreshed heater was equipped with duplicate de-mister hoses handcrafted by Moment. The odometer was reset during the restoration and currently shows just over 1800 miles.
The matching-numbers 2660cc engine, four-speed manual transmission, and overdrive were rebuilt by Peter Genovese of Highland Automotive. Power for the 100M engine was raised to 110 horsepower thanks to a high-lift cam, high-compression pistons, and a revised intake manifold and distributor.
Larger SU H6 carburetors were also equipped on 100Ms as seen here. These have been restored and are supplied by a new fuel tank and SU pump. A reproduction cold air box with period 100M plate and mounting screws is also fitted, while exhaust is through a porcelain-coated stainless steel exhaust manifold. The original generator and starter were restored, and an accurate cloth-covered wiring by Rhode Island Harness was installed. A 12-volt Miata AGM battery is used in lieu of unavailable 6-volt Lucas tar tops.
The matching-numbers chassis was restored by Leo Gleason with original-style powdercoated battery trays and correct brass mounting rods, along with rebuilt original shock absorbers. Original fasteners were replated, blackened, or painted to match those observed on the unrestored reference car. Additional photos are available from throughout the restoration.
The BMIHT certificate verifies the serial numbers, original colors, and specification as a factory 100M car. An included certificate from the 100M Registry confirms this as a genuine factory-built 100M "Le Mans."
History prior to the 1990s is sporadic but does include a July 1976 bill of sale from a previous owner. Receipts for some of the more major restoration work are included along with a hard-copy spreadsheet tallying costs throughout the project. The car has been used sparingly since its restoration, with travel limited to local shows and short trips in sunny weather. It is sold with a Connecticut bill of sale as the state does not require titles for cars over 20 years old.